Psychosomatics considers diseases as a consequence of psychological and emotional problems. What matters here:
- Personal characteristics of a person. It can be increased anxiety, suspiciousness, isolation, etc.
- Life circumstances. Some situations contribute to the onset of the disease. Most often, these are cases that lead to prolonged stress.
- The attitude of the person himself to the disease. This is an emotional mood, which also affects the course of the disease.
- Secondary benefits from disease. In many cases, the disease helps to attract the attention of others.
Neurodermatitis in psychosomatics is considered as a reaction of the skin to certain internal states of a person. It is believed that in genetically predisposed people, emotions can provoke manifestations of the disease: itching, redness and a rash on the skin.
Causes of neurodermatitis in psychosomatics
The main cause of neurodermatitis in psychosomatics are psychological factors. The skin is considered as a kind of barrier and is associated with a person with personal boundaries. At this border, contact is made with the outside world, which can be pleasant, neutral, painful. And as threatening factors here are not only physically traumatic effects (ultraviolet, low temperature, etc.), but also the psychological influence of others.
In this regard, the psychosomatics of neurodermatitis on the face or other parts of the body as the cause of the disease determines the unstable state of the nervous system as a result of frequent stress. The disease is caused by mental trauma and problems, including those that arose in childhood, often as a lack of parental warmth.
As they grow older, the disease worsens and already affects the relationship of a person with others. From a psychological point of view, a person with skin problems is notorious, reserved and very emotional.
Psychosomatics of neurodermatitis in a child
In childhood, neurodermatitis can develop due to the need for attention, most often from the mother. Provoking factors are also constant stress due to tense situations in the family. In adolescence, skin diseases are the result of problems in communicating with peers, for example, if the child is not accepted by the team.
Another neurodermatitis in a child can provoke:
- state of resentment;
- low self-esteem;
- constant reproaches and discontent of parents;
- feelings of guilt due to family conflicts.
In childhood, the influence of the psyche is very strong, so even drug treatment can only have a short-term effect. This shows the importance of applying psychotherapy.
Psychosomatics of neurodermatitis in adults
Symptoms of neurodermatitis in psychosomatics are rather signs that may indicate the psychological nature of the disease. An adult with this diagnosis has the following characteristics:
- a person is not able to “live” positive moments;
- has high expectations
- the presence of a passive life position with the inability to defend one’s boundaries;
- painful reaction to criticism and disapproval of others;
- constant tension, suspiciousness and caution;
- pessimism and irritability;
- self-rejection, irritation and anger at failures.
What can be done
Since the disease is more influenced by psychological factors, the treatment should be carried out by an appropriate specialist – a psychotherapist. Independent work with your condition very rarely leads to good results, since serious preparation, knowledge and experience are required. With a specialist, treatment will be effective and faster.
How to get rid of neurodermatitis against the background of psychosomatics:
- First of all, undergo a complete examination to exclude other possible causes of the disease, for example, allergic ones.
- To normalize the state of the digestive system, since digestive disorders aggravate the course of the disease.
- Seek help from a psychotherapist. It will help to reconsider life positions, find the causes of psychological problems, delve into your psyche and deal with all fears. In the case of children, the therapist works with both the child and the parents. It is important for children to feel and understand that their parents will always support him and they are on his side.
As psychotherapeutic techniques in treatment, meditation and journaling of emotions can be used. In order to prevent the recurrence of neurodermatitis, if it arose as a result of psychological disorders, it is necessary to work with the psyche.
Medicines help only for a while. If you do not cope with psychological problems, the disease will return. In therapy, the psychotherapist adheres to the following general scheme:
- First you need to determine the initial situation that caused the appearance of neurodermatitis.
- Specify the emotion that arose in that situation. It can be grief, anger, shame, guilt – each person will have their own emotion.
- Pick up psychological techniques that will help work out the emotion.
- Correct the emotional state, develop in the patient new forms of reactions to provoking factors.
The advantages of working with a psychotherapist here are that the condition of not only the skin improves, but also the body as a whole, since the psyche can also affect other organs. For example, anxiety often causes several diseases at once. Having worked through such an emotion, a person weakens its influence on the body as a whole.
Therefore, the treatment of neurodermatitis in psychosomatics with the help of psychotherapy is effective for any localization of skin symptoms: on the arms, legs, face, etc. In addition to a psychotherapist, a dermatologist, neurologist and allergist can work with the patient. So it is possible to influence all possible causes of neurodermatitis and achieve long-term remission.