Chocolate is a favorite treat for children and adults. With its help, they express sympathy, cope with stress, unite the whole family for evening tea. This has long been not just a sweetness, but a tradition. The sadder is the fact that the love of chocolate can cause problem skin.
The relationship between chocolate and acne
Even the most natural chocolate contains substances that provoke the development of acne.
Acne on the skin – from sweet
- Cocoa powder is not only a strong allergen, but also contains caffeine, which increases the activity of the adrenal cortex, which secretes the stress hormone cortisol.
- Sugar provokes a jump in blood glucose and the subsequent production of insulin, which affects the activity of the sebaceous glands.
- Milk and lactose lead to the release of insulin-like hormones.
- Fats (milk, cocoa butter, palm oil) are involved in the production of the male sex hormones androgen and testosterone.
The higher the percentage of cocoa in the chocolate, the less likely the person who ate it to get acne. Of course, provided there is no allergy. Sugar and fats are much more harmful to the skin.
In this case, the key role in the appearance of problems with acne is not played by the chocolate itself, but by its quantity. Moderate consumption does not lead to acne. It is much more difficult for the body to cope if it receives a large dose of fatty and sweet at the same time. The digestive and endocrine systems work very hard.
Male sex hormones are also present in women, only in much smaller quantities. Their importance for metabolism is great. In particular, androgen is involved in lowering blood sugar levels. When eating sweet milk chocolate, the body receives a real hormonal shock. In response to an increase in insulin and cortisol titers, androgen and testosterone are produced. It is the male sex hormones that are responsible for enhancing the work of the sebaceous glands of the skin. The lipid film becomes thicker, the pores expand, clog up, forming comedones .
The glycemic index of chocolate is high. This means that when consumed, a significant amount of sugar enters the bloodstream. Insulin is needed to convert glucose molecules into energy. The body reacts to receiving “fuel” systemically. The cardiovascular system is activated , the brain works more intensively, the muscles receive fast nutrition. The person feels more cheerful and happier. In this case, the sebaceous glands of the skin are also included in the work. They begin to secrete a secret intensively. In the past, this was necessary to prepare a person for active work in adverse weather conditions. Now, this simply leads to an increase in the oily skin, oxidation of sebum and the spread of various pathogens in the pores.
Diseases of the stomach: gastritis
The overuse of sweets is bad for the digestive system. Primarily, fatty sugary foods cause the stomach to produce more acid to break down complex large molecules. Secondly, sugar provokes fermentation. Both of these factors can contribute to the multiplication in the stomach of Helicobacter – pathogenic microorganisms that cause inflammation of the mucous membrane.
An irritated stomach does not cope with its functions, and food is followed by poorly digested food. This, in turn, impairs the process of its fermentation and assimilation, and the intestinal bacterial balance is disturbed. Due to the deficiency of nutrients and general intoxication with the waste products of pathogens, the skin condition worsens.
How to deal with acne?
If rashes appear after eating chocolate, you must:
- Give up for a while from all foods containing fast carbohydrates. This applies not only to sweets, but also flour products, pasta, peeled cereals and fruits.
- Reduce fat intake, and give preference in the diet to saturated fatty acids found in fish, eggs, avocados, and nuts.
- Drink more clean water, ideally at least two liters per day.
- Refuse black tea and coffee.
- Increase physical activity, walk more in the fresh air.
How to replace chocolate?
It is not necessary to completely give up sweets if you once faced the problem of rashes on your face. Now there is a huge selection of healthy treats that will not harm the skin, for example:
- Cereal and nut bars that use natural date paste instead of sweetener.
- Bitter and milk chocolate on a carob . Carob fruits are much less likely to cause allergies and do not contain caffeine, and instead of cow’s milk, manufacturers often use nut or soy milk.
- Natural marshmallows and pastilles contain less sugar, but are saturated with pectins that improve digestion.
If you can’t completely abandon your favorite chocolate, it is better to give preference to those bars where the percentage of dry cocoa is more than 75.