These are completely different diseases and it is possible to distinguish between them, although it is not always easy. The addition of signs of eczema and infection to the rash on the skin makes the diagnosis even more difficult.
People who already suffer from one of these ailments know how neurodermatitis differs from psoriasis and will not confuse their manifestations during an exacerbation. When a skin lesion is noticed for the first time, the following facts should be considered:
- after which rashes appeared on the skin;
- whether there is itching and peeling, how strong they are;
- in what places of the body appeared: hands, neck, skin folds, head and others;
- the presence of such manifestations in relatives;
- combination of skin disease with allergic rhinitis, bronchial asthma, frequent urticaria.
A close examination of the rashes themselves will give a lot of information.
Psoriasis and neurodermatitis: common features
Sometimes, due to external factors, these diseases can be confused:
- In the early stages, psoriasis appears as red nodules without flaking, similar to neurodermatitis.
- In both cases, the skin becomes denser, drier and rougher.
- The elements are located on the hands, on the head and face, and in severe cases spread throughout the body.
- There may be a fusion of elements, inflammation due to an attached bacterial infection.
- The skin in both cases itches.
The similarity is observed during these ailments: the alternation of exacerbations and remissions, when all manifestations completely disappear.
Neurodermatitis and psoriasis are different
Consider manifestations that are characteristic only for one of these pathologies and do not occur with the other.
Specific for psoriasis:
Well visible in uncomplicated cases:
- there is no clear connection with allergies;
- the outer surfaces of the arms and legs are more often affected;
- nodules appear in places that are in contact with clothing, jewelry, bag strap, may appear on scratches and abrasions;
- the psoriatic plaque is homogeneous, red in color, above the surrounding skin, excessively peeling, has clear contours and a border;
- if you scratch the plaque, you can see that the scales are plastic like stearin;
- the skin under the scales is covered with a red shiny film, which is easily damaged, and droplets of blood appear (blood dew);
- in addition to the skin, nails are affected, joints, kidneys, liver, intestines are affected.
The disease is incurable, but treatment can lead to persistent and long remissions.
Specific for neurodermatitis
Low blood pressure, low blood sugar levels and special symptoms are often combined:
- there is always a connection with an allergen (food, dust, chemicals, animal hair);
- areas of the skin that sweat more suffer – in the folds, on the inner surfaces of the arms and legs, on the neck, around the genitals;
- spots on the skin are heterogeneous, as if they consist of small parts, redness and peeling are small, there are often bubbles;
- itching of the skin is unbearable;
- joints and internal organs do not suffer, but concomitant allergic ailments, bronchial asthma are often found.
The disease can last for a long time, but it is mostly completely cured. In children and adolescents, neurodermatitis often stops on its own when the child grows up and the hormonal background changes.
What is neurodermatitis and psoriasis the same thing?
Both diseases are not contagious, there is no danger for people in contact. The severity of both diseases always depends on the psychological environment. Stress, resentment, a sense of loneliness and unfulfillment in life serve as an impetus for the exacerbation, progression of the disease, and slow down recovery. Another common feature is that climatotherapy with the sun and the sea, physiotherapy, acupuncture.